Sunday, November 30, 2008

Up-Coming Anniversery

As many of you know abortion has been legal since 1973, but do you know the exact date? It was January 22 of that fateful year. It was then that abortion was considered a 'fundamental legal right' by the U.S. Supreme Court. Now I'm no activist but since we're coming up on the 36th year since abortion has been legalized I thought we should talk about it.

I've contemplated a few points to throw out there for discussion, the problem is no one who disagrees will probably ever read this blog, so there won't be much 'discussion', but here is goes anyway.

First, why is abortion viewed as a modern event? Abortion has been going on for thousands, that's right thousands of years, yet people act as if it were a modern issue. In writings of the early church fathers they wrote that women were not to have abortions! This was almost 2000 years ago, and the church was dealing with abortion. So why do people view this as new?

Second, where did the 'rape', 'incest', and 'life of the mother' arguments come from? I'm serious about this one. My understanding, and I may need to be corrected, is that abortion could always be prescribed by a doctor (obviously before Roe v. Wade you don't need a prescription now). So what changed on 1.22.73 was abortion on demand not abortion in general.

Third, why isn't Ms. Roe's confession that she lied about being raped lead authorities to reopen the case and retry it? The case was built upon that lie, and if the foundation is broken then perhaps the whole case is!

Fourth, why did one (uh-huh one!) woman change an entire nation of laws? I really do not understand why one person can upset the entire applecart. Especially with the aforementioned points. And if one woman's lie could enact law, what about having the testimony of abortion survivors overturn the standing law today?

Fifth, why is murder considered a fundamental right? For the life of me I will never understand why man (I mean mankind) loves to oppress people. We do not seem happy unless we have our boot on somebody's face! Is it because this is an act of rebellion that destroys what Jesus has created? Why is murder a right?

So those are my thoughts and questions for now. I doubt this will get anybody else fired up. But hey I'm fired up so I guess that's what counts!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home