Monday, October 13, 2008

Don't Waste Your Acid Reflux

Yeah I know I stole that line from John Piper. But hey it fits.

So, as some of you know, and now all of you know, I've been having acid reflux. I have hated every minute of it. It is painful, sleep hindering, food altering, joy inhibiting, and all around stupid!

But some good has been coming from this little experience. I have seen growth from this form of suffering. Now nobody likes to suffer, even the Bible tells us that, but it does produce good that can not be learned any other way. As Mark Twain said, "A man learns a lesson carrying a cat by the tail, and some will learn it no other way."

With that said I am learning things about compassion through this time. While I do not like what I'm going through I would not trade it away if I could, because that would mean losing what I have gained.

Now I open it up to you who have faced trials. Would you trade those trials in? What have they produced?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter Brown said...

I don't know who Piper is (something about Hamlin maybe?) but I like Mark Twain.

I agree that most of my life lessons have come from adversity. That being said, I would gladly give them up... in fact I've got a list, that I'd be willing to trade in.

09:22  
Blogger RJ-77 said...

Piper is John Piper, a preacher from the midwest.

Really, Pete, you would trade in what you learned from your adversity just for an easier go of it?

BTW - what is on your list?

18:49  
Blogger Peter Brown said...

I'd like to pretend I'm a better person than I am. The truth is, I feel sometimes like I have more than I can deal with. I think God made a mistake, and yeah, He can have some of it back.

Maybe someone else will appreciate it more.

23:09  
Blogger RJ-77 said...

Pete,

Thanks for your honesty. I understand what you're saying. If I can give one humble suggestion, and I mean this humbly.

Have you poured this out to Jesus? It sounds like your heart is burdened, give that burden to Christ my friend.

Sorry you're hurting like that. I'll be praying for you today.

07:18  
Blogger Peter Brown said...

I just popped back in, and saw your comment. No, actually we don't talk much anymore...maybe its been too long.

Either way, Thanks. For both your prayers and honesty.

19:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home