Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Oktoberfest!

And no, not beer...this time! As many of you know we are fast approaching October 31st. I love this holiday, it is truly the best in all of Christendom. The candy, the robes, nailing things to doors, you know everything that goes with it. Wait, do you think I'm talking about Halloween? You crazy pagan! I'm talking about Reformation Day. That's right it was on October 31st of 1517 that Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door of the Wittenberg church. To be discussed were such things as indulgences, penance, purgatory, and many other Roman Catholic heresies.

But seriously I never understood why we didn't have a Reformation Day party at my Christian high school? They always called it a 'harvest' party. Why not just celebrate some wonderful Christian history, even if you do not agree with everything the man stood for. However, it is the doctrine of Justification by faith alone, which Martin was fighting for and that should be enough for any believer to get behind and cheer. So, the next time you're drinking a Beck's think of Martin Luther and his loyal fight for the Word of God and the Gospel of God's glorious salvation!

15 Comments:

Blogger Ando said...

How about an Amstel Light?

09:10  
Blogger J Crew said...

Let's have a reformation pary

09:22  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I am sure that you all could plan something like this - my husband would probably get into it as well.

09:35  
Blogger RJ-77 said...

To each comment I say, that sounds great! Except this year for holloween my wife and I were going to be Dog the bounty hunter and his wife...so she may be dissapointed if we have a reformation party.

06:24  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Are you going trick or treating??? If so, stop by our house so we can see you :)

09:01  
Blogger J Crew said...

RJ- Is that a joke or is it really happening?

10:58  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Definitely stop by our place, I am going to dress up like Martin Luther myself this year. Figure I will nail some "Thesis" to my door too... should be a good Reformation day!

17:02  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I think he may be serious - oh goodness :) Ok - things on the door - but NO nails - the landlord might not like that! What do you have as refreshments at a Reformation Party?

20:34  
Blogger Stephanie said...

And we are not having Beer - - -

23:21  
Blogger RJ-77 said...

Actually the mrs and I were planning on dressing up like Dog and his mrs. If we have a reformation day party we have to have beer, because of the famous quote by Martin Luther,

"And then, while I slept, or drank Wittenberg beer with my Philip and my Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that never a prince or emperor did such damage to it. I did nothing."

Awesome!

07:15  
Blogger Stephanie said...

If you are really dressing up, you have to stop by our house so we can see you and so you can see Martin Luther - - - and the things on our door - but I still don't think I'll have beer -

07:55  
Blogger jenylu said...

I hope you'll be posting a picture of Dog & what's her name! That is too funny!

Hey SJ, how about Henry Weinhard's rootBEER?

23:36  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Actually Jenylu - my husband just suggested the rootbeer thing - so I am sure we will have some - :):)

06:24  
Blogger jenylu said...

Hey, Halloween is past -- I was hoping for a picture! :)

20:52  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Is RJ still out there??

21:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home