Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sunday Morning Thought

Well it is the Lord's day and my wife and I are heading off to church at Petaluma. It will be a good time of singing and preaching. Although I will not hear the preaching because I will be in children's church. I don't teach I just enforce the rules...I'm the heavy.

Ok now for the thought for Sunday morning. I've been reading C.H. Spurgeon on grace and it is very good. He makes the gospel so clear and easy to understand. I would encourage you to pick up a copy if you can find it. It is called 'Grace: God's Unmerited Favor'. Spurgeon deals with the text of Scripture in Acts 15:11, "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they." Spurgeon makes some wonderful observations on this text but I will only cite a couple. The first is how Peter compares himself to the gentiles! It shows his humility that he did not say, the gentiles can be saved like we can. NO! He says we can be saved like they can! Peter came to understand that salvation was by grace!

The second point is just a quote from the book, "We believe that if we are ever saved at all, we must be saved gratis; saved as the gratuitous act of a bountiful God; saved by a gift, not by wages; saved by God's love, not by our own doings or merits. This is the apostles' creed: salvation is all of grace from first to last, and the channel of that grace is the Lord Jesus Christ, who loved and lived and died and rose again for our salvaton."

For those of us that have been in church our whole life we must look at freshly saved sinners and say, "We believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they!"

God bless you today,

RJ-77

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I love the blog. You are so cool. I'm down with the doctrines of grace.

16:00  
Blogger J Crew said...

Strong Post. It is definitely a good reminder

17:11  
Blogger J Crew said...

Strong Post. It is definitely a good reminder

17:11  
Blogger Stephanie said...

RJ -

Impressive - three posts in a 24 hour period. I am looking forward to reading your blog!

17:46  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Hey hey! Great quotes and thoughts. I will keep that in mind as I preach the good news to jr. high kids!

18:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home